👑 As you are all aware, it's Mother's Day this Sunday. Why not give our Mother's Day Heart Scones a try and treat your Queen to a fresh batch of baked goodies with her tea.
Dads, the little ones will really enjoy helping to make these - let them use a heart cutter to cut them out.
75g butter, chilled and cut into cubes
350g self-raising flour
1 1⁄2 tsp baking powder
30g caster sugar
75g sultanas OR glace cherries OR chocolate drops
2 large eggs, beaten
1 tsp vanilla extract
1. Preheat the oven to 220°C/fan 200°C.
2. Lightly grease a large baking sheet or two smaller ones.
3. Put the flour, baking powder and butter into a large mixing bowl and rub together lightly and quickly with your fingertips until mixture looks like fine breadcrumbs.
4. Add the sugar and sultanas/glace cherries/chocolate drops (whichever you are using).
5. In a jug, whisk together 100ml of milk, the beaten egg and vanilla until it combines then pour into the flour mixture.
6. Mix together until you form a soft, but not overly sticky dough, adding a little bit more milk if needed.
7. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured work surface, lightly knead until you have a smooth dough, then gently roll with a rolling pin to a thickness of about 2cm deep.
8. Using a heart cutter, cut out as many hearts as possible and lay them on the prepared baking sheet, spaced slightly apart.
9. Gather the trimmings, then roll and cut out again.
10. Brush the tops of the scones with a little bit of milk.
11. Bake for about 12 - 15 minutes, or until risen and golden.
12. Remove and cool on a wire rack.
These scones are firm favourite in our house. We enjoy them with a cuppa and topped with some strawberry jam and Rodda's Cornish clotted cream! Heavenly.
If you give these a try, we'd love to see the outcome 😍Tagged with: baking for mum, baking with children, baking with kids, kids baking, mothers day, mothers day baking, scones recipe