February has been named the month of love . . . Valentine’s Day has everybody in a tizzy buying anything with hearts on it. But let’s face it, we don’t really need a day to declare our love to each other, do we?
No we don’t, but it is fun. So go ahead and spoil your loved ones with this super cute Valentine’s Mums NI Craft Hub love bug. Handmade has so much more worth than shop bought. The kids will really enjoy making these for their loved ones.
The way to your loved ones heart is through their stomach, so why not give our Chocolate Beetroot Cake a try. It’s a rich, moist, chocolate cake with the main ingredient being beetroot. Beetroot adds a depth of colour and flavour to the chocolate and gives it a healthy boost.
You will need
9 inch round tin
For the Sponge:
100g dark chocolate
225g dark muscovado sugar
25g cocoa powder
225g self-raising flour
½ tsp baking powder
½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
¼ tsp salt (brings out the flavour of chocolate)
2 tsp full fat milk
250g grated cooked beetroot
For the Buttercream:
100g softened butter
100g icing sugar
1 tsp liquid from the beetroot
1. Pre-heat oven to 180.
2. Line the base of the tin.
3. Melt the chocolate in a glass bowl in the microwave or over a pan of simmering water.
4. Mix all other ingredients together, except the beetroot.
5. Stir in the melted chocolate and then add in the beetroot.
6. Pour mixture into the tin and bake in the oven for 45 minutes.
7. Once the sponge is baked, leave it to cool on a wire rack.
8. Cream the butter, icing sugar and beetroot liquid until nice and smooth.
9. Decorate the top of your cooled cake with the buttercream and add sprinkle if you desire.
This recipe is fast becoming our family’s favourite Sunday treat. Ordinarily we wouldn’t eat beetroot, but mixed through this cake we will all happily eat it - you’d wonder at that now, wouldn't you!?
Give it a try and let us know what you think of it.
Happy Valentine’s Day to you all, much love from the Mums NI Team!Tagged with: baking with children, baking with kids, cake, chocolate cake, easy baking, easy recipes, family recipes, valentines day